Saturday, January 9, 2010

Game Recap: DET 4 - SJ 1

This was a nice big win, and a better game than we've played in a couple of weeks. Very happy to see that.

Period 1
  • Great period for Abby, as far as creating chances. Less great as far as making them count
  • Thanks be to Brad Stuart. I love a defenseman who plays, you know, defensively
  • Spent a bit too much time in the SJ zone, but I'm starting to resign myself to the fact that until we get our starting lines back, we're not going to play very pretty hockey. The important thing is to focus on the wins. If we can get them.
Period 2
  • You know, I was thinking this game could have  gone a lot worse up to this point. We looked outmatched, but not completely outclassed. I suppose that's something
  • Finally a great goal from Pasha. It seems like that hasn't happened for about 7-1/2 years. 
  • Then goals almost back-to-back from Eaves and Cleary. That put a smile on my face
  • I spent a lot of time watching Howard, since a lot was made of his being "more lucky than good" on Thursday. Frankly, I think we might have to get used to his semi-Hasek style. He's not nearly as controlled as the goalies we're used to seeing (chiefly Ozzie) but while he flops around a lot, he generally does it fast and in the right direction. If that's what he does, that's fine with me as long as it stops pucks
  • I can't believe that Kerry fucking Fraser called a reviewed goal in our favor. I honestly think the A/C kicked on in hell...
Period 3
  • Noticed Filppula a good bit, but I'd still like to notice him scoring
  • This was Darren Helm's best game ever. And considering how good he's been all season, that's saying something. That kid...damn. Words fail me
  • Danny Cleary obviously not a fighter. More of a get-the-fuck-off-me-er
  • After the 4th Wings goal, the game went insane for a good five or six minutes. It was awesome, high energy hockey, and I loved it
Summary
See, this game illustrates perfectly why I think Red Wings fans have been so frustrated this season. If we can play like this, with these flashes of brilliance, against a team that's this good and riding a streak this hot, how are we not on top of the conference? We're clearly better than we've been playing so far, and tonight we showed it. So I'm damned sure not going to be happy if we don't keep playing more like this.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment